Adding an email address to Outlook Express
Outlook Express doesn’t have a method for simply adding an email address, so we have to create a new email account with dummy settings and tell Outlook Express not to try downloading mail with it.
- Open Outlook Express, then go to the Tools menu and select Accounts. Click Add and choose Mail…
- You will be prompted for your Display name. Type your name into the box provided and press Next >.
- You will be asked for your E-mail address. Type the email address you wish to add into the box, then click Next >.
- You will now be asked to provide the incoming and outgoing server names. It doesn’t matter what you type for the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server, but you should ensure you enter the correct Outgoing mail (SMTP) server. This will be the same as the one given in your main email settings. If you are unsure what it should be, either look at the email account that is already set up in Outlook Express or refer to your Internet Service Provider’s help. Click Next >.
- You will now be asked for your logon details for the incoming mail server. They will not be used, so leave them as they are and press Next >.
- You have completed the Internet Connection Wizard, so click Finish.
- Now we need to disable mail collection for the newly created account. Select it from the list in Internet Accounts and click Properties. Untick Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing.
- If you need to provide a username and password for your outgoing mail server, click the Servers tab then tick My server requires authentication under the Outgoing Mail Server heading, click the Settings… button and enter the correct username and password.
- Click OK.
- You can now select your new email address from the From: dropdown when composing a new message.