Windows Live Mail doesn’t have a method for simply adding an email address, so we have to create a new email account with dummy settings and tell Live Mail not to try downloading mail with it.
- Open Windows Live Mail, then click on Add e-mail account in the left-hand column.
- You will be prompted for your E-mail address and Display name. Type these into the boxes provided and press Next.
- You will now be asked to provide the incoming and outgoing server names. It doesn’t matter what you type for the Incoming server, but you should ensure you enter the correct Outgoing server. This will be the same as the one given in your main email settings. If you are unsure what it should be, either look at the email account that is already set up in Windows Live Mail or refer to your Internet Service Provider’s help. All other settings can be left as they are. Click Next.
- You have completed the Add an E-mail Account wizard, so click Finish.
- Now we need to disable mail collection for the newly created account. Right click the account in the list on the left and click Properties.
- The Properties dialog for the account will open. Untick Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing.
- If you need to provide a username and password for your outgoing mail server, click the Servers tab then tick My server requires authentication under the Outgoing Mail Server heading, click the Settings… button and enter the correct username and password and click OK.
- Click OK.
- You can now select your new email address from the From: dropdown when composing a new message.